When does your house become a home? It’s an important question to ask, especially when you are looking to buy a new house. However it happens, we would all agree: home is more than a place. It is a feeling. It is sometimes hard to describe. Your fives senses all chime in to tell you that you’re home. You feel it somewhere in your soul, and in your heart. It’s a place of rest, comfort, good food, and even better people.
So, when does this happen? You buy a house, move in, and get in the routine of daily life. At what point does your house become a home? Well, here is a list of 21 ways to know your house has become a home. Enjoy!
Your house has become a home…
- When you can put your feet on the coffee table.
- When cooking, eating, and talking can all happen in the same room.
- When you can feel comfortable without shoes on.
- When you are welcomed by love and family.
- When the scratches and dings become a welcomed sight.
- When you have an unloading zone for everything in your pockets.
- When you walk through the door and the weight of the world leaves.
- When you are surrounded by the best kind of noise: laughter.
- When you notice a distinct, pleasant smell that is home.
- When your old piece of furniture is your favorite spot.
- When your dog or cat greets you at the door.
- When your kids fall asleep…anywhere.
- When your Wi-Fi connects automatically.
- When your home has its own personality.
- When you can walk in and just be yourself.
- When the walls get full of family, friends, and memories.
- When a staycation is just as welcome as a vacation.
- When the entryway becomes a catch-all for ALL the family’s shoes.
- When the family dog has a favorite spot.
- When Christmas and your house become the same thought.
- When it becomes more about the people inside than the house itself.
So, what do you think? Do you agree? What makes a place home to you?
One thing is for sure, home is a place – a feeling – we all love. It’s as if it completes some part of us. In the words of George A. Moore,
“A man travels the world over in search of what he needs and returns home to find it.”
We hope you find a place that becomes your home. When you are shopping for a new house, remember to pay attention to how it feels. Ask yourself, “can this house become my home?” Buying a new house is a big deal. Eventually it becomes less about the features of the house and more about the memories made inside it.
If you want to find a house that feels this way to you, then work with someone who understands that feeling. Here at eSURE Realty, we have worked with hundreds of people to find a place they can truly call home. We’d love to help you do the same. Let’s find yours! Download my free home buyers guide to get started. Let’s talk and find that place that makes you say “I’m home.”